Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Nara, Nara Prefecture (1 March 2015)

I first looked up Nara upon listening to Cath's suggestion on cool places to visit in the Kansai area. After listening to rave reviews of Nara from my two colleagues who travel to Japan earlier last year, I made a resolution to go and experience the place for myself. 

Alhamdullilah, I was not disappointed, Nara was just like I imagined and so much more :)

We took the Subway Tanimachi Line from Tanimachiyonhomme to Tennoji, from there we changed to the JR Yamatoji Rapid Line straight to Nara. It took us about 35 to 40 minutes of travel time from our hotel to Nara. We get to enjoy beautiful views of green hills, suburban houses and farms along the way, so it was a pretty calm journey especially since the kids were asleep most of the way.



It was raining and super cold when we arrived so the kids was bundled up in their warmest and most water proof outfits. The distance from the JR Nara station to Nara Park is around 20 minutes walk, but since it was raining and we had the stroller with us, we decided to take the bus instead. The ticket fee is about 150-200 yen (Sorry I can't remember the exact fee)


 Map of Nara (Source Google)

At the entrance of the park, as you can see there's already plenty of deers roaming around. I've been to a few open concept animal parks but let me tell you these deers are overly "friendly" to a point of literally sticking their noses in your bags.

As you can see the deers was nosing through our strollers. The twins was afraid and insisted that their daddy put on the rain covers. One even managed give Ranya a tiny lick. It was quite hilarious when they started screaming "tolong, tolong deer ni nak makan adik"  Hahaha...I may laugh now but I admit I was quite afraid of them too :p

In front of the Kofukuji Temple. 
Fun Facts: do you know that the deers will bow if you bow to them first? The only problem is they'll start nosing for food right after as a reward for their trick. 


There's deer biscuits available for sale if you want to feed them. Be ready to be harassed and knocked over as long as they can smell food in your hands/pockets

  In front of the Toori Gate at Ichinotori Mae


Nara Park is HUGE and there's plenty to see but I find this part of the park to be the prettiest especially with the small stream along the way. The deers along this side of the park is tamer and calmer as compared to the ones you see nearer to the streets.

One for the album. One of my favourite picture from our trip

 These deers would eat ANYTHING, I tell you...

Despite almost being eaten alive by deers (haha) we enjoyed our trip to Nara so much. Such a lovely and beautiful place. I can't imagine how beautiful it would look like in Spring/Autumn. If you're looking into places to visit when you're in the Kansai area, I totally recommend Nara as a must go place.

For more information : Click Me